Friday, July 16, 2010

Exploring: DC/VA/MD

I’m somewhere exotic right now: Arlington, Virginia. Ok, so that’s not exotic like Argentina, but when you’re from California this opposing coast is a whole new world ripe for exploration. Arlington is part of the greater Washington DC area, so I’ve been poking around seeing some of the iconic tourist attractions our country offers.

Arlington National Cemetery
is beautiful, stoic and filled me with curiosity. If only those graves could tell their heroic stories. For some reason I find cemeteries to be slightly magical; they have a cool nostalgia– a reminder that these bodies are destructible shells simply containing human essence.



On the 4th of July I was able to catch up with Daniel and Jihee: two former co-workers from my days in the OC, still good friends of mine. They recently bought a condo in DC and had a great day exploring their neighborhood. After a scrumptious brunch at the Tabard Inn we visited the National Cathedral. Since I’ve explored cathedrals in Italy and Spain it shocked me by being so new. I’ve never seen gothic architecture in such perfect condition before. That night made an awesome charcuterie dinner and snuck wine up to their rooftop in plastic cups while watching a gorgeous fireworks show. Afterwards, we could see tiny explosions along the horizon in all directions for hours. I saw fireworks in three states: DC, Maryland and Virgina all in one rooftop experience. Super cool!

Jihee and Daniel also enticed me to visit Old Town Alexandria, VA which is absolutely charming. It’s gigantic as well! I’ve never seen an old, quaint brick downtown like that take up so much real estate and be so functional. We participated in happy hour at Vermillion, which had an upbeat swanky atmosphere and great prices on eclectic, fun munchies. Then we tried Brabo, an unpretentious little wine bar where we were happily surprised by the Yalumba Shiraz and Viognier blend. I’ve never tried those particular grapes together and it was delightful. Especially when enjoyed with such good company.

My host here in DC, Brian, has been taking me to an assortment of delicious eating establishments and fun happy hours as well. I had to be rolled out of Ray’s the Steaks after consuming a decadent NY strip the size of my head. And I couldn’t help but be impressed with Wacky Wednesdays at Mister Day’s sport's bar where they serve $2 beers and the best $2 nachos imaginable. The “love love love” review goes to Tallula: an enchanting restaurant/wine bar right around the corner from Brian’s house. If I lived here I’d be a regular. Amazing food paired with the perfect atmosphere + an extensive wine list makes it a great choice. I also have to comment on the service: we were debating a couple wine choices and our server brought us a flight for tastings to help us decide. It’s those extra details like nuttela-covered mini-donuts delivered with your bill that create favorites.



Brian has also been introducing me to baseball. We went to Baltimore, MD a few weeks ago and caught an Oriole’s game at the historic Camden Yards, an old factory that’s now a gorgeous stadium. I have to admit I may have liked Baltimore’s National Aquarium even better, though. It was by far one of the best aquariums I’ve ever visited, with a gigantic shark tank and rad jelly fish. In contrast to Camden Yards, we also attended a National’s game, held at the Nationals Park Stadium here in DC, which is brand new and sparkling. Personally, I preferred the brick charm of Camden Yards, but if there’s peanuts and beer you can talk me into either!

Finally, I managed to secure a tour of the US Capitol building to partake in a bit of traditional tourism. It was my only real official DC tour and I loved seeing the House of Representatives up close. I didn’t do enough of the museum/monument viewing, so I'm slightly guilty as my return approaches. However every trip has its focus and mine was definitely more about enjoying beautiful moments with wonderful people than on real sightseeing.

After running around South America, it's been an entirely new and wonderful experience venturing across my own country to play tourist on American soil. Our world is so fabulously vast with an array of rich experiences to offer tucked into every corner of the globe. Life just continues to surprise; no matter where we are!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I love the US! We have so much to explore still! When is the blog "Exploring NYC with Natalie" going to make it's debut???

Unknown said...

It was so great seeing you!!! I only wish you were here longer. We hope to see you soon in CA!