Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Curious Discovery Journey

Patagonia is the Southern region of Argentina and it is absolutely nada que ver (nothing like) the giant bustling city I’ve been living in for the past two years. Instead, they’re showcasing soaring mountains and gigantic floating blocks of blue ice. I was given the gift of a week spent immersed in nature with my friend Brian, who I hadn’t seen in eight years. It was a spectacular trip. I’m going to let the pictures speak for themselves!

First: Bariloche
Precious little mountain town with a distinct German flair near the border of Chile. They feature artesian chocolates (thankfully someone dragged me out of the chocolate boutique) and microbreweries cast to a scenery of beautiful mountains and crystal clear lakes. Extra bonus: my friend, Meg, lives there so we got our own personal tour guide. Oh, and did I mention the fondue with red wine? Divine!



Second: El Calafate
Growing up in Redding, California means I’ve seen mountains and lakes before. However, never in my life have I seen a glacier. Better yet, I got to climb the glacier wearing crazy spiky cleats and was rewarded with alfahores (delicious cookies) and whiskey (chilled with glacier water) at the end. It was the highlight of the trip for me and I was blown away by the size, color and sheer glory of
the glaciers.


I’m so grateful to have seen a little bit more of Argentina before leaving for good. After the trip was over I had four days to pack up my bags, say goodbye to my home and hop on a plane. What an amazing country! I'm glad to add this trip to a rich collection of memories that have left a lifelong impression on me. Quite the curious discovery journey.

3 comments:

Susan La said...

WoW! OMG...Wow! Beautiful.....truly lovely......

Tiffany Joy said...

I wanna go!!!! waaaaaaaahhhhhh! Gotta find a way! I miss you already :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Unknown said...

gorgeous fotos, amber!! im so glad i got to see you :) hope costa rica is diviinnnee