Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving feast!
Food. You don't even realize it, but food constitutes a huge part of our lives and our culture. I mean, think about how much of the day we spend mowing down on munchies.

As expats, I notice that often it's a huge shock to relocate and suddenly be missing such a staple of daily life. What do I eat here, anyway? Part of moving to a new country is re-learning how to grocery shop, cook and snack in a foreign fashion. It's interesting to say the least, and more shocking than expected.

That said, now I can get to my point: this year having a very very American Thanksgiving truly warmed my heart. Food! Lots of it! The kind of food I love and miss: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, sweet potato sides, and (this was my contribution) homemade salad dressing.

Stuffed Thanksgiving stomachs!
Apart from the magic comfort of delicious food; the camaraderie was exceptional. We were a little gang of lost rebels in a foreign land getting together and trying to replicate home for a moment. Forget that it was a Saturday and there was no cranberry sauce or whipped cream. We had pumpkin pie and turkey. That was beyond sufficient – in fact it bordered on brilliance. Also, I think that going “potluck” style: the act of cooking and each contributing to the party committed everyone. Americans, Britons and Argentines alike arrived proudly with their homemade plates ready to party. It turned out spectacular.

This Thanksgiving I’m grateful for good food, wonderful friends and big hearts that cross oceans. And I’ve already started preparing my mental list of all the things I am going to absolutely adore eating when I get home. It’s a growing list.

What food would you miss if you lived in Argentina? I bet you’d be surprised…
(who knew that I freaking love salad dressing so much?)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

aww I really liked that. I am missing turkey too....

Organic Meatbag said...

Nice...I know I crammed myself silly...hehehehe