Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Salvation Soup

I’m sick. You know that kind of sick where your head feels like it’s full of cotton balls and mucus? That’s me. Today at work I nearly burst into tears because someone was singing loudly. Obviously a sign I needed to go home.

Leaving work I briefly considered the option of taking a taxi, but decided that the bus was a better option and I trudged to the bus stop. Except there was no bus. I grumpily walked to the subte stop… and there was no subte. Apparently there’s a giant demonstration happening in the city center (where I work) which I was completely unaware of. This left me no choice but to hail a cab, except – where to find one? I spent about 20 minutes wandering up and down a maze of streets, drums and picketers before I finally encountered a taxi headed in my direction. I climbed into the cab and ceremoniously burst into tears. The taxi driver was more than generous, and once I was capable of speaking again we discussed the desperation that public transportation can produce. I arrived home in one (slightly tattered) piece.

Walking into my home, I was met with a giant smile and a big hug. Is there anything better than that? My roommie Natalia had just made the most aromatic, delicious pot of vegetable soup and we sat down and ate a warm, comforting lunch together. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful for a bowl of soup before in my life. It was like drinking salvation.

I definitely still feel sick, but it's amazing how a little bit of love can completely turn around an awful day. Here’s to winter, being sick, cold toes, stupid protests, taxi drivers, hot soup and above all, good friends.

3 comments:

Susan La said...

I am sending you warm soup, and hot chili, and warm fresh bread, and hot choco, and hugs and kisses.....

Sarah said...

Sister! I finally got gmail! I hope you are feeling better and got to eat lots of soup! I love your blog, I just caught up on all your posts and it makes me miss you soooooo much! I wish I could just sit and chat with you and give you hugs! Love you!

Natalie said...

Awww that soup had the magic ingredient...LOVE.