Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bad Spanish Day

Yes, that’s what I said. A bad Spanish day. These things happen. It’s part of the expat life...

I was trying to explain a relatively simple request at work and I had a confused Argentine looking at me like I had horns growing out of my ears. Thankfully, someone else understood, but remarked that the reason my first request was unsuccessful was because I had asked in a slightly idiotic way. At which point I wanted to throw something at someone’s head. Both men were appealing targets.

I’m irritated. Seriously, every day I try all day long to get people to understand me. I subject myself to being criticized, stared at, laughed at, embarrassed and ignored. EVERY DAY.

This particular day, today, I’m just a little frustrated. It’s all making me tired. I’m feeling like my desire to keep making an effort is running a bit dry. Guess what, though? I’m gonna wake up tomorrow and give it another go. And if I keep trying long enough maybe someday I’ll be able to express myself in a fabulously eloquent manner and people will marvel at what a clever, charming, intelligent woman I am. Or maybe they just won’t laugh at me. I’ll take either scenario.

3 comments:

Susan La said...

Your charming even with bad Spanish! Keep trying.......

Amber D said...

You don't know what I'm saying, haha! But you have to think that, because you're my mother :)

I love you!

Anonymous said...

I think I know what you mean. I get that a lot, well, maybe a little bit less than I used to right after I moved to USA. I took learning a second language as self-improvement. If I learned one more word that day, that made me happy and that's all I cared. And trust me. You'll be surprised how fluent you are in Spanish in a few years!

-Kellyn