Sunday, March 8, 2009

Día Internacional de la Mujer

Today is the International Day of the Woman. Despite the progressive nature of my country, darling America, you forgot this one. The United Nations recognizes it! An important holiday!

I've been rather curious to discover why we women have a special holiday. What exactly are we celebrating here? It's a day to honor the historic struggle of women to gain equality and respect. I like that.

Next question: What do the Argentines DO to celebrate the day of the woman? Apparently, since I'm female my husband/boyfriend should bring me flowers and cook me dinner. Unfortunately I don't have a husband/boyfriend. Therefore, I can't celebrate? I'm a little confused. This is only a holiday if you have a significant other? Why on earth does the Day of the Woman require I have a MAN to celebrate? I find that infuriating.

Alternative solution: I think during Dia de la Mujer all the women should ditch their men and meet in the parks to drink mate, eat chocolate and gossip about girlieness such as hair, nails and how we really feel. I like this idea so much better. That would be a real celebration of femininity.

Maybe I'll start my own chocolate-eating holiday.

1 comment:

Susan La said...

I support your plan...here here to chocolate, gossip and feelings.....