Friday, July 4, 2008

Bienvenidos!

This week was a little disorientating. Arriving in a big, new city and starting my Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) course was a very new experience for me. I guess I was foolish enough to be thinking this experience would resemble a vacation... but it's been crazy!

My class is very intense and I've been trying to carry on with "real" life like going to the gym and the grocery store so I haven't had much time to be a tourist. I taught my first English lesson last night and it was a nerve-racking experience, although I think it went fairly well. I certainly have room for improvement! I'm learning a lot, though and hopefully I'll be a wonderful teacher by the time this is all done.

I did buy a pretty scarf at an outdoor market, and I managed to have a divine dinner with steak and lots of good wine on Wednesday. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a little more fun, even though I do have mountains of homework! Tonight's just getting started... we aren't meeting for dinner until 11! Although I doubt I'll last until 7 am like most Argentinians.

Loves and hugs to all... I miss everyone!

3 comments:

Susan La said...

Birnvenidos!! You are such a good teacher...see I learned a new word ( sure hope that isn't a naughty one!! )! Love your amphibious friend XOXOX

keris said...

hi-imiss-you-already!mycomputerwill-otwork-sorry!it-seemslikewe-were-just-havig-luchtheotherday!-ica't-elieve-youarereally-there!havesomefu!!youwilldowoderful!i-love-you,keri

lisavilander said...

hey girl!
The beauty of teaching is that it is hard, its a constant challenge of growth. There are endless amounts of strategies out there to be learned and they are constantly coming up with new things. You're first year is your hardest. You figure things out, find out what works and what doesn't. Every year is different, every individual is different, every class is different. You're not EVER going to perfect it... if you do... that's when you know you're no good. LOL. Thank gawd you don't have kids! :P you'll be fine. Need ideas... lemme know. I teach English Language Development to the kids. native language is spanish. Got a few tricks up my sleeves. Holla at your besty! :P