Sunday, August 30, 2009

Oh, yeah, THIS is why I'm here.

Yesterday I felt like I was on vacation. One of those magic, happy little moments when contentment was tangible, sitting in my stomach like a piece of delicious chocolate cake. This city wears me out sometimes, and it’s so gratifying to have a joyful expat experience and remember why I’m here: it’s all about discovering new experiences.

First of all, I found an apartment! What an incredible relief. After running all over the city and responding to a hundred ads, I found a spot that’s going to be a definite upgrade. It’s very centrally located, so I’ll cut way down on my commute to work and the travel time to go out with friends. I’m closer to everything that I like to do here in Buenos Aires. It’s with just one roommate instead of two and the department is much bigger. It’s located on a busy street, but it’s an internal apartment, so it’s quiet and mellow. I have a giant room with my own bathroom and big sliding glass doors that open onto a quaint little terrace (I’ve got a vision of myself laying out in the sun and finally getting a tan, haha!). I’ll be making the move over the next two weeks. It will be nice to change location – there’s always a sense of a little fresh start and a new chapter with a move.

I also joined the couchsurfing network, which is a cool program including an active social group here in Buenos Aires. We did an empanada event yesterday and I learned how to make the most signature of all Argentine foods. I’m still not a pro at folding the little edges of the empanadas, but I’m going to have to practice and aim for perfection, jaja! I also met people from all over the world: the US, England, Australia, Argentina (of course) and enjoyed chatting away and making new friends.

Then to celebrate the new apartment, I went out with a good friend, Greg, who is in town right now visiting. We had a delicious steak dinner and went out dancing afterward at Kika. Love that club. I have to say my favorite part is that they’ve got a well-ventilated dance floor so you don’t sweat to death and suffocate. It was a blast!

Yes, my Saturday was a vacation. Quite lovely. Tonight I’m going to go and learn how to play “Truco” the Argentine card game based on lying and tricking your opponents. Should be a good time, and I love cards.

Cheers to a new chapter, new friends and the magic Argentina can offer on a sunny day.

1 comment:

Susan La said...

Yeah!!! So nice to "hear" things are going well and your feeling (and looking)happy!!!!!